Thursday, January 8, 2009

Reporting in :)

Well, I missed doing my planned walking yesterday. I was planning to go to the walking program in a local school gym last night but another meeting came up and I missed doing that and then when I got home I just got caught up doing other things and couldn't bring myself to stop and do the walking. I must do it today to make up for it!!

I did walk Monday. I cleared away the rec room and used toys to set up a bit of a course for myself so I wouldn't be too bored walking in one spot. I turned on the free run feature of the WiiFit, set it to 30 minutes, put the remote in my pocket and started walking. Keeping on eye on the timer in the right hand corner of the screen, I walked in out and around the toys for 10 minutes, then for the next 10 minutes I did a 30 second run followed by 30 second walk pattern. After that I walked again for the last 10 minutes. Little One (my 3 year old daughter) was walking/running with me and almost got run over a few times as we weaved in out and around the toys, but it was fun. She quit before I did, so that's a good sign. :)

Our goal for this week is simply to walk for 30 minutes at least three days this week, but you can change that to suit you. Walk a little less if you need too, add some running if you feel ready for it, but take it slow. Remember that if you do a little less than you are capable of, rather than more, you will achieve more because you'll feel successful, rather than defeated.

If you checked out the Couch to 5K Conservative Run Plan you noticed that it suggests you walk 4 times this week - 10 minutes the first time, 15 the next, 10 the next, and 15 the next. They also, however, stress the important of having at least a 5 minute slow walking warm up and at least a 5 minutes slow walking cool down, so I just decided to make it simple and walk for 30 minutes - the warm up and cool down are in there and by doing it three times a week instead of 4 you end up with about the same actual total walking time.

I'm thinking I'd like to add a list of names of people that are planning on joining us in this adventure in the side bar of the blog, so leave a comment or drop me a line if you are. I'll only use your first name. We'd love to hear from you.

1 comment:

  1. I walked for 15 minutes with my doggie yesterday. I didn't do any warm up for it though...that seems like such a waste of time!!! (but I can spend all night surfing on the web and be quite happy...go figure :0)
    I guess I'm gonna have to try and do some warm up and cool downs too....that's my job for tomorrow. Tonite I have to do my second night of bootcamp exercises! FUN FUN FUN! I'll email my friend's name that is going to do this program with us Jac and you can add her to the list.

    ReplyDelete